Welcome to our (2018) December Progress Report! We are extremely happy to finally push this report out to you guys after the many delays, for which we tried to make up with other kinds of updates along the way. We hope that you’ll enjoy our deep dive about the last month of the past year, and find its stories equally as intriguing.
December has been an absolute whirlwind for RPCS3 with improvements made to various parts of the emulator. Nekotekina greatly improved performance with the introduction of Approximate xfloat while kd-11 fixed a wide variety of graphical issues affecting multiple AAA titles. Apart from our full-time developers, our regular contributors also made a plethora of improvements to the texture cache predictor, cellCamera emulation, controller/mouse support, GUI and tons of bug fixes. We’ve tried to detail as many as we possibly could in this report. So without further ado, let get into it!
In addition to the following report, further details about Nekotekina and kd-11’s work during December and their upcoming contributions can be found in their weekly reports on Patreon. December’s Patreon reports were:
Table of Contents
This month saw improvements to various aspects of the emulator and the compatibility list is no exception. At the start of 2018, the compatibility list was revamped to allow us to merge multiple game IDs for the same game into one single entry. This helped reduce duplication of entries and enhance the quality of the statistics we provide. While we were able to merge IDs of different regions together, due to the way the compatibility list database was structured, titles with multiple IDs from the same region could not be merged and hence were shown as separate entries. Not wanting to leave the job half done, AniLeo refactored the compatibility list once again this month to now allow us to merge IDs from the same region as well!
With this change, we can eliminate unnecessary duplication entirely and significantly improve the quality of our statistics to properly represent the amazing progress made with the emulator. If you take a look at the metrics for this month, you will notice that the number of games has decreased across all categories. This is solely due to the above mentioned revamp of the compatibility list. However, if you take a look at the compatibility history page, we can see that the Playable category has increased by over 15 titles and Ingame category has increase by over 30 new titles. The nothing category also reduced by one, bringing the total to just 3 titles!
On Git statistics, there have been 4,802 lines of code added and 2,530 removed through 105 commits by 18 authors. Continue reading Progress Report: December 2018