This is a non-exhaustive list of current goals made possible with the support of our generous patrons.
Short term goals
- Investigate game specific bugs like the overly bright bloom in Persona 5 or the overly dark lighting in Demon’s Souls.
- Improve performance and compatibility of all renderers.
- Enable Vulkan on Linux, which will bring a tremendous performance improvement for some games.
- Implement missing functionality that will fix various bugs in different games. For example, the broken shadows in many games including Demon’s Souls depend on this task.
- Automatically add disc games running from external locations to the game list.
- Parse .eh_frame section in PPU analyser and use this information in LLVM recompiler.
- Configure a buildbot to automatically upload Linux binaries.
- Investigate Linux specific bugs. Avoid using executable dir completely.
- Start to improve compatibility by fixing bugs and missing functionality.
Medium term goals
- GUI: Use Qt instead of wxWidgets. (#2645)
- Properly support some PS3 features like MSAA that are lacking at the moment.
- Implement RSX reports which are missing at the moment.
- Improve audio and video decoders for better speed and compatibility.
- Improve controller support. This includes emulated controllers (with mouse or keyboard) and real controllers as well.
- Add low-latency ASIO audio backend for Windows. With ASIO4ALL, it will work great on most modern hardware.
- Implement LLVM recompiler backend for SPU. This is actually a tremendous amount of work to make it useful, but it will also give the very important speed improvement (unless the SPU is not used at all).
- Improve LLVM flexibility. For example, it could scan game folder for all executables and SPRX modules and recompile them ahead of time.
- Implement PPU executable chain-loading.
- Improve solution structure, move and rename some files.
- Improve SPRX loading and unloading. This increases compatibility a lot.
- Implement missing syscalls. Allow to LLE more system modules.
- Write automatic tests to minimize bugs.
- Implement savedata manager. Currently it doesn't have user interface.
- Implement precise PPU interpreter.
- Enable hardware acceleration for decryption (AES-NI). (#2457)
Long term goals
- Enable higher rendering resolution to play games at any resolution, for example 4k instead of 720p in Demon’s Souls or Persona 5.
- Enable extra graphics options to support extra rendering features, such as custom anti-aliasing modes.
- Support booting from original game discs.
- Implement user manager.
- Support mic, camera, USB peripherals, etc.
- Implement network functionality.
- Implement every system module in the emulator. This will allow the emulator to work without the PS3 firmware.
- Continue to improve speed, accuracy, and compatibility. This is a never-ending goal.
- Implement MFC_DMA_TAG_CMD_STALL_NOTIFY_EVENT and other SPU events.
error_code from syscalls and functions to enable error reporting.
- Improve embedded debugging tools (CPU, RSX, Kernel Explorer).
- Implement simple thread pool (Thread.cpp)
- Implement BPIP for synchronization primitives.
- Implement minimalistic YAML adaptor in "C++11" style which preserves map element order.
- Implemented priority-based scheduler for PPU threads. This is an important core change, fixing various crashes and freezes. (#2349)
- Implemented PS3 firmware installer. Users only need to provide correct PS3UPDAT.PUP file and it is automatically unpacked into /dev_flash. (#2386, #2398)
- Implemented SPRX decryption on the fly (#2367).
- Fixed early crashes on Linux. Now also creates dev_hdd0 and other dirs. (#2423)
- Cache compiled LLVM modules. You shouldn't recompile the same executable twice. (#2432)
- Implemented "Automatic LLE configuration" option (enabled by default). This picks the most appropriate system modules (SPRX files). It may be hard to pick them manually. (#2459)
- Implemented MSELF and SDAT decryption on the fly. No more temporary files and additional steps. Before some games silently failed to boot due to the presence of encrypted SDAT files. (#2468)
- Added ALSA core audio backend for Linux. (#2654)
- Controller support: DualShock 4 native support. (#2733, #2792)