This is a non-exhaustive list of current goals made possible with the support of our generous patrons.
- Add "Clear LLVM cache" function.
- Implement sys_net syscalls. (Nekotekina)
- Rebuild LLVM cache for the firmware after its installation. (Nekotekina)
- Fix parent of root in VFS. (Nekotekina)
- Remove obstacles for ASLR support. (Nekotekina)
- Improve PPU LLVM recompiler compatibility and speed. (Nekotekina)
- Begin SPU LLVM. (Nekotekina)
- Improvements to the shader generation and cache system (kd-11)
- Upgrade pixel pipeline emulation (fragment shaders, textures and framebuffers) (kd-11)
- Lay the groundwork for arbitrary render setups and high resolution modes (kd-11)
Medium term goals
- Enable higher rendering resolution to play games at any resolution, for example 4K.
- Properly support MSAA.
- Improve audio and video decoders for better speed and compatibility.
- Improve controller support. This includes emulated controllers (with mouse or keyboard) and real controllers as well.
- Add low-latency ASIO audio backend for Windows. With ASIO4ALL, it will work great on most modern hardware.
- Implement LLVM recompiler backend for SPU. This is actually a tremendous amount of work to make it useful, but it will also give the very important speed improvement (unless the SPU is not used at all).
- Improve LLVM flexibility. For example, it could scan game folder for all executables and SPRX modules and recompile them ahead of time.
- Implement PPU executable chain-loading.
- Improve solution structure, move and rename some files.
- Implement missing syscalls. Allow to LLE more system modules.
- Write automatic tests to minimize bugs.
- Implement savedata manager. Currently it doesn't have user interface.
- Implement (the rest of) precise PPU Interpreter.
- Enable hardware acceleration for decryption (AES-NI). (#2457)
- Implement config tristate in GUI for per-game configurations.
Long term goals
- Enable extra graphics options to support extra rendering features, such as custom anti-aliasing modes.
- Native overlay API to allow custom UI to render within the GSFrame e.g SaveManager dialog
- Build PPU/SPU interpreters at runtime using LLVM.
- Support booting from original game discs.
- Implement user manager.
- Support mic, camera, USB peripherals, etc.
- Implement network functionality.
- Implement every system module in the emulator. This will allow the emulator to work without the PS3 firmware.
- Improve game compatibility by fixing bugs and missing functionality.
- Continue to improve emulation speed and accuracy.
- Improve performance and compatibility of all renderers.
- Parse .eh_frame section in PPU analyser and use this information in LLVM recompiler.
- Implement MFC_DMA_TAG_CMD_STALL_NOTIFY_EVENT and other SPU events.
error_code from syscalls and functions to enable error reporting.
- Improve embedded debugging tools (CPU, RSX, Kernel Explorer).
- Implement BPIP for synchronization primitives.
- Cleanup the VS project files: reduce to two build types (Release and Debug), but both must use Release LLVM build. Debug build should include memory leak detection features.